Friday, January 6, 2012

Swim Girls

I love the Swim Girls, and also the little swimmers.

Let me explain. 

Gumball and I have been doing a Parent and Me "swim" class since we moved here. Session after session. She was six months old when we started the class. A tiny, little, giant peanut. The class isn't swim training, exactly. Not in the way I envisioned swim training. Not yet anyhow. Mostly, we move around in the pool, splash and sing. We sing the Hokey Pokey, Grand Old Duke of York, etc. Lately, we've even tried dunking the kids under water. Except for the dunking, the kids adore every moment. They tolerate the dunking though. Not like they exactly have a say in the matter. The teacher is terrific too- funny, kind and as neurotic as the rest of us. A lovely person. Despite the indignity of getting my winter-white cellulite into a bathing suit, and parading around, wet and cold while I quickly dress Gumball, I love the class. And even more than the class itself, I love the other women who attend the class.

These women, and their kids, are indescribably awesome. Fun, smart, thoughtful, generous, beautiful, hilarious, and great moms. Really. Their kids (our kids?) are all geniuses, each one totally gorgeous and sweet and kind. Gumball and I are so lucky to have these people in our lives. It is an incredible pleasure to spend time with these adults and kids.

Today, we were in-between swimming sessions. So we went to a local aquarium. Almost all native fish, frogs, turtles, and plants. The kids had a blast. Gumball was so excited to see her best friend, M, that she screamed and shouted and ran around, falling and shrieking, like a little drunk party girl. These girls love each other, even though they rarely directly interact. It is hilarious and adorable to see them together.

It was a great day. Even though Gumball napped in the car on the way home, and then pooped 3 separate times during her "nap" which essentially ensured that she slept not a wink. And even though I didn't get my much-needed afternoon nap, and gave Gumball a fried egg for dinner (along with her regular foods.) A terrific day.

No comments:

Post a Comment