Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cream of Butternut Squash Soup

I made this soup again. I figure if I write about it, I'll remember how to make it. I made it in the crock pot too! (Shan- take note! It was even better!)

Peel, seed and cube one or 2 butternut squashes.
Mince 2 onions
1 stick of butter
cream
chicken stock
tumeric
ginger
salt

I put butter, onions, and squash into the crock pot. In this order. Added about a cup of chicken broth. Cooked on high for 3.5 hours. Added remaining chicken broth (1 entire box of broth, in total) and about 2 cups of cream. Added seasonings to taste. Used immersion blender to blend ingredients. Cooked for another hour.

6 comments:

  1. Any recipe involving a stick of butter and cream is going to turn out well. (Okay, not ANY, I guess, but I can't really think of a way to ruin that without using non-edible ingredients like tar. Though I would probably eat tar if it was cooked with butter and cream.) Gumball is a lucky kid to eat soups like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for immersion blending!

    I'm sticking with my roasted squash, but that's because it makes the peeling and seeding easier as much as for the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed- stick of butter plus cream is pretty amazing. This soup is very good. Gumball ate just about as much as I did. And Shan... you roast it whole???? That is clever. I need to try that. I'm terribly about the slow cooker method though. SO much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, whole. Just poke holes throughout, put in a baking dish with a little water or stock, cover and roast at 350 for about 90 minutes. Remember, no checking until you think it could be done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh. I'm going to have to try it. It goes against my entire being though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a couple more at an organic produce store down the hill. Enough for a double batch... you should come enjoy it with us!

    ReplyDelete