Thursday, January 5, 2012

Resolved

Well, I may be up to 25% asshole, but today, I'm ok with that. I'll work on it, but at least I'm not jealous or crying. I really want to be a better person, and will continue to try to be that.

One good thing- yesterday I made some incredible pulled pork in my slow cooker. I used this recipe. Effing amazing. Really, really delicious. I also made my mom's coleslaw. Here's how I make that:

For 1/2 a head of cabbage, I used (amounts all guesses)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 mayo
- black peper
- raw garlic, minced finely
- tabasco
- salt


It is better the second day, and lasts really well.

One event I haven't known how to write about yet, is that I got into a parenting disagreement with someone I recently met. I won't go into too many details about that, to be respectful to all parties involved, but to summarize, I made some unfavorable observations about my new acquaintance's disciplining techniques. Or, her lack thereof. In a nutshell, her adorable kid was attacking and hurting other kids, including Gumball and her friends. I was feeling guilty every time he hurt her, feeling like I should have been able to protect her better. She is so sensitive that she cries if I say "no" too harshly, so I really have no idea about disciplining toddlers. Anyhow, in my typical subtle and delicate way (HA! Hahahahahaha! HA!) I addressed the problem, and at the same time managed to offend this new acquaintance to the point where she no longer wants to be friends with me. Kind of uncomfortable, and awkward, and in retrospect, I wish I had handled it differently. Although I am honestly unsure how I could have handled it differently. I weighed Gumball being hurt, and certain friends of hers not wanting to continue to attend group get-togethers, with the chance I might hurt and offend. Parenting is hard, man!

I am, however, proud that I spoke up.

This experience may be evidence of my 25%. Or of the opposing 75%. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment