Saturday, July 9, 2011

Divorce, Part Two

It took two days, but I finally spoke with my lawyer. She's funny. The first time I got divorced (yes, I'm *that* person) she came to court gushing blood from a wound on her leg. Consequently, I hired her again. People gushing blood- come to me! I will hire you!

She let me know that court went well. I mean, the end result was what I wanted. Full custody, no visitation. But the judge, apparently not so interested in "the law" was angry I moved out of state, angry I wasn't in court, and was totally fine with Gumball's dad just totally abandoning her. I heard this and became sick with anger. It's a good thing my appearance was waived. I'm a crier, and just hearing about court made me tear up. I would have been red-faced and sobbing, out of rage, grief and impotency. Impotency- over not being able to smite the judge, and Gumball's dad. I imagine something totally biblical. Lightening, plagues, you know? Smiting.

Anyhow, its over. Mostly. I still need to get the lawyer to return to court to change Gumball's last name. No way is she keeping her dad's last name. Thank god I didn't change mine when we got married. He was mad I wouldn't. But after 35 years of having the same last name, I just couldn't change it. Not for my first husband, not for the second, not for anyone, ever.

I won't be able to fully relax until I have the actual divorce papers in my hot, sweaty, little hand. But this is a good start.

2 comments:

  1. I remember how the wait to be *sure* things were done was, in some ways, more stressful than going through the divorce in the first place (and mine took 2.5 years because I did almost all the leg- and paperwork myself... and he kept moving).

    It's good you didn't have to be there to go through that. Who cares about some jaded judge in another state. Well, except for the part where your requests were answered. And who knows, maybe if you had been available, the judge wouldn't have been so cranky. (But seriously, was that relevant enough that the bleeding lawyer needed to tell you? Why do people share stuff like that?!?)

    Here's hoping the papers are expedited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an excellent point. I really didn't *need* to know the judge was annoyed at me. It's really stuck in my craw, so to speak. 2.5 yrs would kill me. I'm so excited for it to be over. Then again, I probably won't relax until I've had his parental rights terminated. And that's 3 or 4 years, I think.

    ReplyDelete