Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Finger Foods and Heartbreak

Older photo- totally unrelated to topic, but so sweet. 3+ months old.

Now that my little Gumball is almost 10 months old, I'm trying to encourage her to eat more finger foods. By "finger foods" I mean something other than mush. Gumball loves her mush. But someday, I hope she'll be able to eat real food. She still gags and barfs if something goes down the wrong way, but she is very excited about the little nuggets of food I give her. Since the mushes, both store bought and homemade, are somewhat sweet, she seems especially excited about salty (well, not sweet) finger foods.

The finger foods I've given her are usually soft and mushy. The foods she prefers are:
- Cheese
- Chicken
- Scrambled eggs
- Garbanzo beans
- Hummus
- Orange slices

She's also had, and tolerates:
- Steamed (well done) asparagus
- Creamed spinach
- Beef (hamburger and tiny pieces of steak)
- Kiwi
- Sweet potato
- Puffs
- Baby Mum Mums

Scrambled eggs are her favorite, I think, and mine. She eats about 1/2 an egg before getting bored, and wanting mush. 

We're still at the point where I have to put each piece of food into her mouth, but maybe someday she'll feed herself. The baby is not very food-motivated, which is something I entirely don't understand. How can a portly food-lover like myself have an infant who doesn't ever seem to want to eat. Rat baby's friend, L, is a champion eater. Today he grabbed some scrambled eggs in his little fist and tried to feed my sweetie. It was adorable, and really touching because he loves food so much. He's such an adorable and sweet kid.

8+ months old









Loves her Nana MUCH more than Baby Mum Mums

In other news, I got a text from Gumball's dad yesterday. He said, "I'm sorry that I wasn't a better husband. I take some small comfort in knowing that you are better off without me." This is the fourth or fifth text I've received from him since he left. I'll never answer him. He has never asked about the baby. That's all I hear. No questions about her. As far as I'm concerned, his words are meaningless. He is obviously broken. The baby and I deserve so much more. I still miss the person I thought I knew, who I thought would be with me forever. But this guy, who left my house and moved in with his ex-wife (you know, the classy and intelligent chick who got a tattoo two years ago on her back- that says "PROPERTY OF Ex-boyfriend's name,") I don't know him. I miss his kids so, so badly. I almost can't think about them, because it hurts so much still. I do hope my girl gets to know her two brothers. They're still some of the nicest, sweetest kids I've known. I'll never do anything to stand in the way of her having a relationship with her dad. So far, he hasn't shown any interest in her, which cripples me, but maybe someday. I will put my hate, confusion, heartbreak and anger aside, if he ever decides to be a dad to Gumball. If he continues his trajectory, I will fill her life with so much love and happiness, she'll never know what she's missing. All I want is for her to be happy.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to comment the other day, but my browser was apparently not compatible with your commenting box (or, you know... most of the comment boxes on Blogger, grr!). Got it all worked out now, so you can hear from me on a semi-regular basis. Yay!(?)

    I remember the shock when I realized that my ex-husband wasn't going to be a father to our son. No fun. I'm sorry you're going through that.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shan- is your ex involved in your son's life now? I keep wondering how this is going to turn out, and how I will explain things to my baby. You know, when she's older. Very hard for me to wait and see. NOT a situation I am comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete